The digital marketing world has become more volatile than ever. Over the last couple of years, we have witnessed a phenomenal change in the way organisations interact with their target audience and market their brands. The constant advancement in the technology, coupled with the increasing number of internet users every year, the digital world has become an extremely maddening place. Not only is it evolving, it is evolving at a skyrocketing pace!
And though the basics of marketing stay the same – identifying the buyer audience, reaching out to them, sending out a clear message, and ensuring repetitive purchase – it is the digital user experience and the medium of communication that keeps developing and progressing further.
So what does 2017 have in store for us? What are the Digital Marketing trends that can be relied upon in order to formulate powerful marketing strategies and online campaigns? Let’s take a look.
1. Video Content – To give you an idea about how crucial and massive video content is going to be, here’s a fact. YouTube has over a billion users, which is almost a third of the world internet population. Last year saw the launch of Facebook and Instagram Live, Twitter now has a video platform too. With high speed 4G internet expected to become the norm in India, a lot more videos will dominate your news feed.
2. Mobile >Computers – Google virtually phased-out all websites not optimized for mobile last year. With the advancement in smart-phone technology and increasing number of smart-phone users in the country, mobile marketing is going to dominate the years ahead. Mobile search and mobile optimisation are expected to be a top priority for digital marketers.
3. Wearable Technology – The past few years has seen the introduction of smart watches, Google glass, and other wearable devices that connect you to the digital world. The wearable devices market is only going to blossom in the years to come. Marketers will thus have to develop websites and applications that are compatible and user-friendly on small screens.
4. Segmented e-mail marketing – Segmented and customised email marketing is going to be the way forward in 2017. A lot of consumers randomly subscribe to brands and newsletters, only to be annoyed with plenty of emails a day. The smarter option is to target the customer on the basis of what they’re browsing about, and later drop in a reminder email.
5. Expiring and Interactive Content – One big digital marketing trend that going to take the world of social media by storm is expiring content and interactive content. Expiring digital content (10-second videos that expire once you watch them) offers the marketers to focus on the main message and not wander around the bush. The marketers have to be street smart and involve the audience to make them not just read the content, but also act upon it. Technical writing courses and content writing courses are pursued at various institutes of Digital Marketing. Compared to 36% for static content, interactive content in the form of quizzes, polls, contests, etc. generates conversions moderately or very well almost 70% of the time.
6. Viral Marketing – Viral posts and videos increase the popularity and reach. These viral posts help in accumulating the social signals (shares, comments, likes) that boost branding and traffic. Google looks at the number of shares while ranking the articles in the search engine.
7. Influencer Marketing – Brands have already started collaborating with influencers in order to sway the customers. Influencers (bloggers, writers, critics, reviewers) with a considerable social media following will be further used by businesses to push the brand in the consumer market as well as drive potential and quality traffic to the website.
One cannot doubt the fact the Digital Marketing is going to be one of the biggest trendsetting work industries in the coming years. It has already become very popular with students with so many SEO training institutes and Digital Marketing training institutes opening up.
The fact remains however that Digital Marketing is still in its early years, and is going to transform and transcend other work fields too. 2017 can be seen as a monumental year as this industry takes giant steps forward.